Wednesday, February 16, 2011

David Sedaris - due 2/18/2011

What I'd like you to do with Sedaris for Friday:

Don't summarize it, that would be kind of dumb. I want to use Sedaris as a jumping-off point to spend a little bit of time talking about humor. So, and this can be super short, instead tell me what the joke(s) is/are. If you found it funny, what was funny, and why? If you think it's dreadfully dull and not funny at all (which I'm guessing some of you will), tell me what parts are supposed to be funny. How can you tell? How does the humor in this piece work?

Secondly, tell a joke in your blog. Long or short as you like. Feel free to read each others'. I'll give you a variation on one:

I told my roommate I was thinking about asking you guys to do this, and he said, "I wouldn't want to do that. I'd get performance anxiety about thinking of a joke."

I said, "Well, I don't care, it can just be some dumb riddle from elementary school if they like. You know the sort of thing, like, 'Why was six afraid of seven?'"

"Oh," he says, "because seven is a pedophile."

That made me laugh way harder than I should have. That's all you have to write; explain Sedaris and give me one joke. I am genuinely interested in talking about why I found my roommate's response so funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment